Monday, January 11, 2016
Happy Birthday Caroline Wright-Reis!
Today, January 11th, is Caroline Wright-Reis' 134th birthday! In honor of this, I've compiled a list of 11 facts to get to know this amazing Somers resident!
1) Caroline was born on January 11th, 1882.
2) Caroline was an only child, and after being orphaned at age ten she was raised by her Uncle William Wright.
3) As a child she attended the Blaire Academy in New Jersey, a boarding school for young girls.
4) Caroline studied fashion and costume design at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, graduating in 1912. At this point in history women did not have the right to vote, and many did not attended college, let alone graduate.
5) Caroline married Walter Reis in 1908.
6) While Walter traveled for business, Caroline was in charge of running their farm.
7) In addition to this, Caroline was also a member of several Somers organizations, including the school board and the Somers Lantern Association.
8) Caroline was also a member of the Katonah Women's Civic Organization, a group evolved from the Katonah's Women's Suffrage Party.
9) Caroline was an accomplished artist, and many of her works are on display at the Wright-Reis Homestead.
10) Caroline also was an avid collector: she gathered a variety of pottery, baskets, and various newspaper and magazine clippings relating to her many interests.
11) Caroline Wright-Reis lived until 1967, at which point she donated her home and 82 acres of land to the town of Somers, asking that it be used for recreational and educational purposes. Today, we call that land Reis Park. The park, the Library, and the Wright-Reis Homestead allow us to remember Caroline and all she did throughout her life and after for her beloved town of Somers.
For more on Caroline visit: